Let’s Go Blog Hopping!
you’ve joined up with Gravatar, and got a cool picture uploaded that you feel is a good representation of yourself. If you’ve made a comment on a blog post since then, you’ve noticed that your photo now shows up beside your comment to identify you. Cool, now you’re no longer a “grey ghost”. You will be represented as a real person, which is great for getting yourself known in the blogging community, and help to build up your brand.
I hope you’ve also downloaded and installed the free version of CommentLuv in the plugins on your blog. Now when you leave a comment on someone’s blog post, it will show the title of your latest blog post on your own blog below the comment. On some blogs, if you subscribe it will even give you a choice of ten of your posts to display. Even cooler.
Blog Hopping is:
visiting blogs that are related to your own niche, and leaving a relevant comment. CommentLuv will then link back to your own blog. This is great for building up new traffic to your blog. Many readers will follow the link back to check out what you’ve got to say, and if they like what they see, may become regular readers of your blog.
There are many benefits to be gained here, among them:
- Introducing readers that would have otherwise never seen your blog, to what you have to offer.
- Break the ice with other blog owners that could be future joint venture partners.
- Create a possible path for a blog owner to link to one of your posts on their own blog.
- Encourage comments on your posts.
- Introduce you to new relevant information in your niche on the blogs you are hopping.
- Give you ideas for future posts on your blog.
There are also some common sense courtesies you should extend to the blogs you are hopping:
- Actually read the post you are commenting on.
- Leave a relevant comment that adds something to the discussion. If you can only come up with something like “Great post” or “I learned a lot, Thanks”, don’t even bother.
- Don’t ever put a link to your site in you comment, it will be considered spammy, and it’s not necessary anyway, that’s what CommentLuv is for
Getting Your Blog Ready For New Readers
Be sure to have an opt-in box on your blog, preferably with a free gift (free report, ebook, video, etc.), to help build your list.
Add fresh and useful content to your blog on a regular basis. If you gain new readers, you want to keep them coming back.
Encourage comments to your posts with questions like: “What would you do?”, “How have you gotten around this problem?”, or “What would you like to see addressed?”.
Comments keep your blog alive, by encouraging interaction with your readers, and can give you many post ideas.
Ready, Lets Go Blog Hopping! (But where do I find blogs to hop?)
Begin by googling your niche. Type “Internet Marketing Blogs” for example in the search box. You can also:
- When you find a good blog, check out other commentators’ CommentLuv at the bottom of their comment.
- In the sidebar of the blog, look for categories such as: “Blogroll”, “Other Cool Blogs”, etc.
- Check out the signatures of people who post in niche forums for links.
- Go to CommentLuv and look for: “Recent Comments”, and “Top Comment Luvvers”.
Keep It Real.
Blog Hopping is something that can benefit you and your blog immensely, and can be both educational and a lot of fun, but don’t get carried away. You can spend too much of your available time blog Hopping and find yourself letting your own blog go.
I would suggest trying to keep it to a maximum of an hour a day at the most. Try to shoot for reading and commenting on five blogs a day at first.
Be sure to let me know if your efforts are helping to build your readership, comments, and/or opt-ins - Steve